Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Potty Training

I am at my wits end in potty training Alex. Are boys really THAT hard?! He will do good going a few times during the day. Then the next day, he's not one bit interested in going. I do give him one Hershey Kiss if he goes #1 and 2 if he goes #2. Yesterday, we bought him 2 big toys for him to have once he is potty trained. A tractor and 2 big squirt guns. He picked them out himself and he wanted to open it so bad. We told him that he can have them once he is done wearing his diapers and if he goes potty all the time in the toilet. We put them on top of his dresser where he can't reach in his room and so that he can see it everyday. He went last night and did good. He did have one accident though. Now today, he didn't even want to go! I kept telling him, "Let's go sit on the potty" or I ask, "Do you need to go pee pee?" He either says, "No", or "I already went" or just throws a fit cuz he just plain doesn't want to. I kept asking him if he wanted his new toys and he does answer with a yes. But it obviously is not enough to get him to go potty now! I don't force him or scare him off. I know about that. I do try to be patient with him. But he is pretty stubborn about it and I feel like he'll never be trained! *sobs!* Are there any suggestions you guys have? Boys boys boys!!!! Ugh!!!!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Wish I could help. Caylee was as STUBBORN as they come. She refused to go #2 on the potty at all. Seriously we finally stopped wearing diapers or pull ups at about 3 1/2. We bribed her with EVERYTHING! Every time we went to the store she would say "can I get this toy when I poop in the potty?" She knew she could have what she wanted when she finally did it.. but it still took a while. I am just letting the twins do what they want for now... Bennett likes to sit on the potty but doesnt go and Madalyn wants nothing to do with it. Alex isnt even 3 yet right? Dont push it.. you will just cause yourself a headache cause you cant force it :) lol I sure wish we could though.

Hollie said...

You know, I had the SAME troubles with Caleb... he would go and then not go for a while and go and then not go for a while... and so on. I was getting really frustrated with him!!! I think he could sense it or something... so I stopped for a couple months and then when I tried again it was CAKE! I also got him some cheap guns (because that was what he was into at the time) and I would give one to him everytime he went potty and then when he would mess I would take them ALL away!! If he still would mess I would take something else away that he really like. I did that with Kaylee too. It eventually worked!! I didn't get Caleb and Kaylee trained till right around their 3rd birthday. They kind of have to make up their own mind, unfortunately. I HATE potty training!! Good luck to you!!! I am not looking forward to doing that again!!! UGH!!!!

Geegng said...

This could work if Alex was afraid of shots. If he's due for some immunizations, tell him he'll be getting shots if he doesn't go potty on the potty. Then if he messes without going to the potty, take him to the doctor and have immuno shots!!
No kidding! It worked for my friend's kid. Kinda cruel, but it's life.....right?