Saturday, September 19, 2009

Maddie...

Okay, so, you saw the picture down below of Maddie in her splint. I am sure you guys all wondered what happened to her. Well, I can't leave you guys all hanging so today, I'll be posting two posts. One of our anniversary and one of Maddie.

Thursday night, the 17th, the kids were playing. Maddie went to walk somewhere and she had a simple fall over some toys. I think a pillow was in the way and then Alex's toy helmet. When she fell, she screamed and cried so hard. And knowing Maddie, I totally thought she was just being all dramatic about it. She is quite the drama queen and she always just cries over nothing. So I held her, telling her to calm down. I didn't even think she hurt herself cuz it was just a minor misstep. A small fall. She has fallen down like that before. We put her to bed and she didn't want her milk. She kept waking up that night, wanting to be held. I thought okay, maybe she is miserable cuz she has cut three molars within the last few days. I've given her Tylenol and she seemed to be better. The next morning, the 18th, she woke up sooo cranky, tired and was crying. (see pictures below) She was fine when I held her, but when I changed her diaper, she was mad. So then, I thought maybe she was having a bad day cuz she had a rough night and wasn't in a good mood. I noticed she was just laying around on the floor when I was getting ready for the day, and Josh and I thought it was odd cuz she is always walking around and getting into mischief. She was just holding her blankie and sucking her thumb. As I was getting ready to go to the mall, she screamed and held onto me so tight. Wanted her favorite blankie with her. I was wondering then what was going on. I looked to make sure she wasn't hurt. I made sure a string wasn't wrapped around tightly around her toes, or legs or anywhere. I made sure she wasn't bleeding. I checked for bruises or swelling, and I found NOTHING. So I went on during the day, and she did good while shopping. She was in her stroller the whole time. She relaxed and had a great time grabbing things that were within her reach. Came home, put her down for a nap, then headed out to my mom's. She played a little on the floor and then, she tried to stand up to walk around. And right then, she screamed bloody murder. Josh and my mom noticed one of her legs looked funny when she stood. She was stuck and couldn't stand up straight or even sit back down. So my mom, in her usual nurse mode, quickly checked her legs, hips, feet everything. It turned out that Maddie seemed to have favored her right leg. We were getting ready to leave for our date and so my mom said to just go and then come back and take her to Insta Care or Kids Kare. We came back, went to Kids Kare and we noticed that if we lightly squeeze her leg just above her ankle, she flinches. So we knew it was in that spot. The doctor came in and felt her legs and felt that her right felt more taut and warm than the other one. She wanted to get X-Rays done and we took her into the room to get them done. The X-Rays came back and I quickly saw a little crack in her tibia. The doctor told us she thinks it is a Toddler's Fracture but can't confirm it without having a Radiologist looking at it. We had to wait til the next morning for them to look at it. (we were there at 9 pm) So they wanted to put a splint on her leg to be safe. She did really good while they put it on. In fact, it seemed she felt much better with it on. We came home late that night and Maddie slept like an angel. The next morning we got a call from the same doctor we saw last night who got the results from the Radiologist and they confirmed it is a fracture. We will have to call and go in on Monday to get a cast put on her leg for her to wear for 3-4 weeks. Maddie is handling the splint pretty good. She does have her moments of frustrations when she tries to stand or walk. But she manages to crawl a little with it on. It is cute on her but at the same time, I feel SO bad for her. I hear these fractures are really common in little babies and so it helps me feel at ease I am not the only one. But I do hate seeing her in pain and with that splint on.

Here is Maddie I took of her today. She gave me her "cheesy smile". So cute!

2 comments:

julie said...

Poor thing! it's so hard to tell sometimes if they are hurt or not. give her a kiss.

Nikki and Kevin said...

Okay so I know this happened awhile ago but Charlotte had a broken bone too! She fell off the bed at 11 months old and broke her arm. The cast was the saddest and cutest thing all wrapped into one. I hope Maddie is feeling better.