I have recently been reading a book; a book that I feel has changed my testimony of the Gospel for the better. My life has changed after reading it. I have been confiding with my two brothers, my husband and my dad about my feelings and what I've been reading. One of my brothers actually listened to this book during one of his travels in his car on audiotape and it is one of his favorite books about Joseph Smith. The book is The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother.
This book gives an account of what happened during the life of Joseph Smith and some other family members. It talks about the experiences they went through. At the beginning of the book, Lucy Smith talks about the accounts of her and Joseph Smith's Sr's own family history and you can clearly see that the Lord was preparing the family for a modern-day Prophet and bringing the one true Gospel back onto this earth.
I am nearing the end of this book and last night I came across a testimony of Hyrum Smith's. His testimony struck me to my heart and I know it to be true. The people of the early church were so badly persecuted, abused, driven out of their homes and even killed all because of their faith and the devil stirring up the hearts of men to get rid of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Hyrum's testimony made me think of my own troubles in life. I have really contemplated my own personal issues and I have really taken them for granted. What some of us have been through, is probably nothing compared to what the many innocent men, women and children experienced back then. What those people went through, and to say that it was difficult is an understatement. Here is Hyrum's testimony:
"I have endeavored to give you a short account of my sufferings while in the state of Missouri, but how inadequate is language to express the feelings of my mind, while under them: knowing that I was innocent of crime, and that I had been dragged from my family at a time, when my assistance was most needed; that I had been abused and thrust into a dungeon, and confined for months on account of my faith, and the 'testimony of Jesus Christ.' However I thank God that I felt a determination to die, rather than deny the things which my eyes had seen, which my hands had handled, and which I had borne testimony to, wherever my lot had been cast; and I can assure my beloved brethren that I was enabled to bear as strong a testimony, when nothing but death presented itself, as ever I did in my life. My confidence in God, was likewise unshaken. I knew that He who suffered me, alone with my brethren, to be thus tried, that He could and that He would deliver us out of the hands of our enemies; and in His own due time He did so, for which I desire to bless and praise His holy name. From my close and long confinement, as well as from the sufferings of my mind, I feel my body greatly broke down and debilitated, my frame has received a shock from which it will take a long time to recover; yet, I am happy to say that my zeal for the cause of God, and my courage in defense of the truth, are as great as ever. 'My heart is fixed,' and I yet feel a determination to do the will of God, in spite of the persecutions, imprisonments or death; I can say with Paul 'none of these things move me so that I may finish my course with joy.'"
I was in awe after reading that. Hyrum, and so was Joseph, and many other members, were so determined to not go astray despite all the troubles they went through. They remained so faithful and true to the Lord. They were not ashamed of their beliefs because they knew it is true. And in this modern world we are in, we should always remember those people and think of how they never waived. We are in tough times. People are starting to become atheist or agnostic, others saying we shouldn't say "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. We should not be ashamed of our faith. We shouldn't let those who mock the LDS get to us. We shouldn't let science take over. The devil is truly working extremely hard in these times and we must all remember that.
I cannot imagine going through those things they experienced all because of my faith. I cannot imagine losing one of my children during those times. I can't imagine losing my home by fire. The list goes on and on of what I can't imagine to experience. Jesus Christ went through similar things. He set an example for all of us. He loved many. He healed many. He wasn't the type to "keep up with the Jones". He was humble and meek. And the best of all, he sacrificed for all us. Joseph Smith endured many harsh trials in his life and without him, we wouldn't be here. And because he never waived, or went astray, we have the Gospel. We have the scriptures. We have the Priesthood. We have temples. And most of all, we have testimonies.
We must not forget the pioneers and their rough journey coming to the Salt Lake Valley. They were driven to the west, to unknown territories, to get away from all of the evilness the people were doing to them. They wanted to be free. They wanted to start over but first, they had to travel long, rough distances to get here. Many of them had their family members die. Even little ones, to get here. And because of their faith and determination, they kept going.
I know Joseph Smith is the Prophet of God. I have always wanted to meet him someday and I really want to even more so now. I know he brought the true Gospel back on this earth. I know the scriptures to be true. I highly recommend you to read this book. And if you can, get the hardcover one as it has so many useful footnotes at the end of each chapter. This book is beyond awesome.
Grape Salad
11 years ago
2 comments:
Great book! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony! Nothing like how great books about great people can help us want to change for the better to try to be a little more like them. Now you are about to read my favorite book about Joseph. Keep the book reviews coming.
Romans 1:16
Post a Comment